Tuesday, April 24, 2007

3rd Phone Assignment

I partnered with Tracy Buckley to do my 3rd phone assignment. I played the role of the employee and she played the role of my boss. I told her that I felt I deserved a more substantial raise because the job duties I am currently performing are above and beyond the duties that are listed in my job description.

She asked a few questions to get some information on the structure of employment levels such as, “are there higher level positions that contain the duties that you are currently performing?” She also wanted to know what duties that I am performing are outside of my job description. I explained that I am performing all of the clerical support work as well as supervisory work. I told her that I am currently managing several large projects that require a high level of responsibility. We verbally reviewed my work history and rating on previous evaluations.

Tracy recognized that the job duties I am currently performing are duties that are normally upheld by a higher level management position. She also took into account the employment structure of the company and clarified her limitations in regards to raising levels of pay. Based on my history with the company, high ratings on work performance, high level of responsibility, and additional job duties, she agreed that my pay raise should be more substantial.

Because it is not within her power to offer more money without reclassifying my position or offering me a new position, she said that when the opportunity became available I would receive more pay. She asked me to continue doing the work that I have been doing and that she would do her best to make a promotion happen as soon as possible. She felt that it was worth paying me the extra salary rather than trying to train a new person and losing a valuable employee.

Although I did not receive an immediate pay raise, she did recognize the extra efforts I have put in and let me know that she would be an advocate for me. This solution was mutually satisfactory to both of us.

2 comments:

tbuckley13 said...

Christine, I really enjoyed talking with you tonight. You had a lot of great insight on child development career paths and how to go about things. Thank you for that. Being new to the area, I don't know all the channels to look into. As far as your job goes, I hope that you co-workers know what a great asset you are to them. Someday all your hard work will pay off and your salary will compliment your duties. Good luck to you.

Myrna Sadalge said...

Hi Chrisine,

To log on to the chat log on to the course, click on the Chat tab, then click on the highlighted group, that should open a new window. Click on click button to enter chat, whala you're in. Another window will open. There will be a long white section on the bottom, type your stuff there and hit enter. The people who are logged on will appear on the right side. You have to arrange a meeting time with your group memebers. I hope this works for you.